Welcome to the resource page for the MSiA Optimization Class.
Week 1 Material
Install OpenSolver for Excel. This will give you access to a much more robust solver than the one that comes with Excel. Note that you can also use the built-in solver with Excel.
Before or After the 1st Class
Read or watch the following:
- 3-Minute Video from IBM on Optimization
- Read just the first section, Mathematical Programming (6 paragraphs total)
- Optional: Read the IBM article in the Analytics Magazine
- Install OpenSolver for Excel.
- Read pages 12-14 in SCND (Solving the Quantifiable Aspects)
- Read the Bland article– posted on Canvas
- Optional– Read Bixby’s article on the history of Linear and Integer Programming- posted on Canvas
Tips on Implementing Projects in Practice (I’ll come back to these later in the class):